SAFEGUARDING OUR ENVIRONMENT
WHAT I BELIEVE
I strongly support safeguarding our natural environment. For all industries to survive and prosper we need a healthy and sustainable environment. Our environment faces many threats and requires adaptive management to achieve sustainability for future generations. Rather than offer empty slogans and promises. Environmental laws should be framed for the greater good. The best way to work with the environment is to actively manage our landscape and enhance biodiversity.
Communities are an essential part of this model, and without active community support and participation all conservation efforts will fail. An adaptive, evidence-based solution to biodiversity and biosecurity risks is appropriate.
MY ACTION PLAN
1. Communication is the most important thing in managing our environment. Communication with all stake holders is paramount to safeguarding our environment.
2. All decisions taken by natural resource managers, including Government Departments, to give a balanced consideration to environmental, social and economic issues during the decision-making process. (Balance is the Key).
3. Implement an active adaptive management system. Biodiversity conservation in Australian requires a Comprehensive, Adequate and Representative (CAR) reserve system.
4. Reinstate and maintain fire trails on all public lands as well as controlled burning is a viable option to restore Native Forest health and mitigate risk of future uncontrolled wild fires. Indigenous rangers are trained in this area.
5. Ensure environmental water flows are not set without consideration of the impacts on regional communities and the environment.
6. Allow National Parks to be sustainably managed and encourage recreational use as originally envisaged under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1967.
7. Management of woody weeds to maintain biological diversity.
8. Protection and better management of estuaries as multi-use environments through a unitary management approached across all agencies.